Thursday, February 16, 2012

Little Man Sewing


My three-year-old, Evan, has shown an interest in learning to sew right along with me. Of course, he shows as interest in most everything I do, so this does not necessarily mean a life-long commitment. But as long as the desire is there, I am happy to teach him as much as I know.  As a sewing novice myself, this is not much. But since a three-year-old cannot really do more than the basics anyway, it has not been hard for me to come up with a few small projects.

I have been searching for resources on teaching young children to sew and have come up with a few things, but most of the books and websites I find are geared more toward school-aged children and older. Not only this, but many of the resources seem to focus on girls. Now Evan's favorite color is pink and he is a big fan of frills and flowers - I am in no way opposed to doing "girly" projects with my little boy, but I am still searching for a little more variety.

Here are some of the resources I have found that seem promising:
  • Sewing School - a blog about teaching children to sew (mostly school-aged), though some of their projects seem do-able with a younger child. They also have published a book, which I would love to see in person.
  • The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule - this book has a couple of sewing projects appropriate for very young children
  • Sewing for Children by Emma Hardy - I have not actually seen this book, but have read about it and it looks really good
I would love to hear about any more resources that people have found out there for sewing with young children. Do you know of any other relevant books or websites?

In the meantime, I thought I would contribute to the conversation by sharing some of the projects on which Evan and I have worked. I have added a tab on my homepage where you will find any of my posts about sewing with Evan. If you decide to do any of these projects with your children, I would love to hear about your experiences! Feel free to comment on my post - include a link to your own blog if you choose to write about them there.

No comments:

Post a Comment