Friday, March 16, 2012

Phooey again!

Man, I just do not seem to have any luck right now. First, my family and I went through a glasses and dishes breaking spree, working our way down to just barely enough to function. Then, my camera died. Okay, so it was a cheap camera to begin with and it lasted me for a little over a year of very heavy use, but still.

Then, the other day, our toilet started running and leaking out all over the bathroom floor. We have fixed this toilet so many times in the last year or two and we knew it would have to be replaced soon, but that does not make me any more excited about doing so.

And now, worst of all, my sewing machine died...right in the middle of making this adorable little pocket that will go on the bag I am making for my nephew for his birthday. This pocket is seriously so cute! But not cute enough to give to my nephew by itself...although if I got the right box and packed it in some sparkly paper, it might just do. He is only turning two, after all.


Anyway, I was replacing the needle two days ago, just before I got ready to sew the little pocket onto the front piece of the bag. When I went to put the new needle in, the whole mechanism fell off and a tiny little piece fell out and rolled across the desk. Tiny little pieces never mean good things...

I took the machine to a repair shop yesterday and they said it would cost more to fix than the machine is worth. It was a very inexpensive machine bought by my husband on a whim before either of us had a real desire to learn to sew. So, I guess I am in the market for a new machine.


I can easily look on the bright side. It is always bittersweet when things break and you can replace them with better ones. That is what happened with my camera. I upgraded a lot this time around and am having so much fun with my new Nikon D3100.

But I just finished researching cameras and now I have to research sewing machines. That is just way too much internet surfing for me for one week. Not to mention the expense. I am thankful for the big tax refund that is coming just at the right time...

So, here I am hoping that someone - anyone - will have a recommendation for a mid-range machine, ideally in the $200-300 range. What kind of machine do you use?

1 comment:

  1. Hi :) I just came across your blog, thanks to a tutorial on a nursing shirt posted on Respect The Breast on Facebook. I have a Brother sewing machine, and I absolutely love it. I'm not good at sewing, since this is my first machine. It's the Brother CS-6000i Computer one. Here's a link to it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Affordable-60-Stitch-Computerized-Free-Arm/dp/B000JQM1DE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349400222&sr=8-1&keywords=brother+cs6000i

    Hope you get a new one quickly! :)

    - Nicole

    ReplyDelete