Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Phooey!

I had a very productive week with sewing, mostly thanks to the freedom that comes with grandparent visits, lending me a few extra minutes each day to make a little progress with my projects.


I started the week working on a dress for myself, a jumper of green twill that I am hoping will be good with a long-sleeved shirt and tights in the winter as well as alone in the summer. I really did not make much visible progress on this, since I have not even started cutting the twill. But I decided to take the advice of a kind reader who suggested making the dress out of muslin first to check on the size. So, I did cut the muslin, but have not started putting anything together yet.

But what a pleasure it was to cut out the muslin on my NEW large cutting mat. I thought maybe I was whining about nothing and was ready to chalk up my unsuccessful cutting experiences to my lack of abilities, but once again the proper tools saved the day. If you do not have one of these yet, start watching for sales. I have been on the lookout for a couple months and found one last week for less than half off.


I decided to take a break from the dress for a bit though. I kept watching my three-year-old hitch at his pants every few seconds and started to feel guilty that I was "pleasure sewing" for myself. Evan is as skinny as can be and we almost never find a pair of ready-to-wear pants that fit him both in the waist and the length. I have recently started to think that I need to just start making his pants, at least a few pairs so that he can have a few days of rest a week without having to worry constantly that his pants are about to fall down.

I managed to make him two pairs this week - one in grey twill with an orange and white striped contrasting fabric and one in red and white seersucker. They are both adorable and fit him perfectly. Hooray! The grey ones, which I made from a pattern in Meg McElwee's Growing Up Sew Liberated, even have pockets, a first for me.


But, phooey! My camera just broke yesterday. So, so sad about this. And just on the day when I was ready to take some pictures of Evan wearing his pants. Time to work on that tax return, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. I left my camera at my sister's for about 3 months. It was the pits. Using my phone to take mediocre pics. blah. hang in there! I look forward to seeing those pants! =)

    ReplyDelete